The Energy Story:
Skelton Grange coal fired power station was constructed in the late 1940's when the first coal-fired power station, station A, was constructed. A second coal-fired power station (station B) was constructed to the south east of station A in the 1950's. Power Station A was demolished in 1990, and the site has remained vacant since that date.
The Waste Story:
Biffa have a long and successful history in managing Leeds' waste through the Skelton Grange landfill site. Landfilling waste at the site of the ash lagoons of the old power station has enabled the restoration of this land. However, the landfill is approaching completion, and the emphasis on waste management techniques has seen a shift from the old method of landfilling waste to recycling, treatment and recovery through a range of facilities.