Biffa believes that environmental compliance, protection, carbon and energy management is an essential part of the business.
Following on from the 2014 Corporate Responsibility Report ‘Biffa Being Better,’ we have published a new report for 2016. The report highlights some of the amazing projects underway throughout the Biffa group of businesses and is structured around our key pillars: working together safely; being first choice for customers; streamlining processes so that we are easy to do business with; and building pride in Biffa by engaging our employees and working on projects within the communities which we operate.
“These are just a few examples of the amazing work underway throughout the Biffa business. It highlights some of the many instances where colleagues are really trying to make a difference in order to improve the environmental performance and the long term sustainability of the operations.” Simon Rutledge - Group External Affairs & Sustainability Manager.
Biffa is committed to complying with our permits as well as promoting high standards of environmental, carbon and energy management on all of our sites, premises, and in all of our activities.
What is the Board’s commitment to the Environment and to Carbon Management?
Biffa considers that the protection of the environment is an essential part of the business. Biffa is committed to its compliance obligations as well as promoting high standards of environmental, carbon and energy management on all our workplaces, and in all our activities. To achieve this, the Board will:
- Continually evaluate environmental risks and opportunities associated with aspects and impacts, including consideration of life cycle and end of life treatment
- Plan and support the continued application of an Environmental Compliance Strategy and evaluate performance
- Ensure that all our sites and operations are managed in an environmentally sensitive way to minimise any negative impact on the environment and local communities.
- Ensure we meet all applicable compliance obligations with due consideration of the needs and expectations of interested parties
- Provide adequate resources for planning, provision and maintenance of environmental management plans.
- Constantly work towards improving environmental management at all levels within Biffa and to ensure the effectiveness of an integrated management system in accordance with ISO 14001:2015
What are Biffa’s objectives for the Environment and Carbon Management?
- Raise awareness and evaluate performance against the identified targets and actions in the Environmental Compliance Strategy, supported by targeted training and practice improvements.
- To retain certification to ISO14001:2015
- Continuous improvement of emergency planning and business continuity strategies.
- To identify risks and opportunities and direct resources as targeted campaigns where we can make significant improvements in terms of our environmental performance, specifically reduction of greenhouse gas emissions, resource efficiency, energy, water, life cycle and end of life treatment and own waste management.
- To retain Carbon Saver Gold accreditation
How do Biffa comply with their responsibilities for the Environment & Carbon Management?
- Our Environment & External Affairs and SHEQ teams work together across the business ensuring we meet our compliance obligations by monitoring, evaluation, auditing, coaching and training.
- All our people are responsible for ensuring high standards of environmental care.
- We maintain and monitor the performance of an integrated management system. This provides clear advice, guidelines and tools to ensure we protect or enhance the environment and prevent pollution wherever possible.
- Our Business Leaders are responsible for their business obligations and performance and for cascading information to our operating teams.
- Monitor and review the environmental compliance strategy and performance.
Participation and Consultation are vital aspects of this policy. Biffa welcomes suggestions from members of the public and employees to improve environmental performance.