Our standard wheelie bin is designed to be strong, sturdy and easy to manoeuvre and can deal with a variety of waste streams (general waste, dry mixed recycling, food and glass). Note this is not suitable for hazardous waste.
General InformationAt Biffa we supply a wide choice of standard wheelie bins to suit your business needs. Whether you’re looking to dispose of general waste, food waste, glass or commercial waste, we have a wheelie bin for you.Our standard wheelie bin features two wheels and easy grip handles. The 240L is a strong and sturdy workplace wheelie bin designed to collect and dispose of the following waste types:How big is a standard wheelie bin?
Capacity Waste Types Dimensions (L×W×H) 240 Litre
Dry Mixed Recycling (DMR)
0.8 x 0.6 x 1.8m
How much can I fit in a bin?
The typical black bin bag quantity is from 2 to 4 bags per large wheelie bin. This equals to a weight range of 10-20kg of waste.
See below for the standard wheelie bin sizes we provide, including the 240L wheelie bin:
Capacity Waste Types Dimensions (L×W×H) 120 Litre Glass
0.6 x 0.5 x 1 m 240 Litre Cardboard
Dry Mixed Recycling (DMR)
0.8 x 0.6 x 1.1 m
Depending on the type of wheelie bin you have, will depend what can be disposed of in that bin. At Biffa we have prepared the following contamination policy, designed to help you understand what you can put in each type of bin aside from general rubbish.
Using the below table you can see what can be put three different types of bin, whether it is a dry mixed recycling bin, a general waste bin for exchange modes, or a general waste bin for trade waste.
What's Allowed What's Not Material/Container Type: Dry Mixed Recyclate
- Paper– e.g. dry paper waste, newspapers, office paper and magazines
- Cardboard– e.g. corrugated cardboard, cereal boxes and card
- Metal cans– e.g. clean, empty drinks cans and food tins
- Plastic– e.g. packaging films, rinsed out milk bottles,empty drinks bottles & clean salad trays, rinsedout margarine tubs µwaveable meal trays
N.B. Only clear sacks can be used
- Black bags (because our drivers cannot see if it is recyclable material in the bag)
- Waxed paper cups (takeaway cups from most high street coffee chains)
- Crisp packets and sweet wrappers
- Food and canteen waste
- Glass and ceramics
- Textiles or lengths of strapping
- Hard and rigid plastics (e.g. window frames, pipes, drums or other bulky non-compactable plastic items)
- Containers with any residue of food or hazardous material(e.g. paint tins or bleach bottles)
Material/Container Type: General Waste for Exchange Modes Non-hazardous waste Any waste electronic or electrical equipment, batteries, gas bottles, fluorescent tubes, paint tins, mattresses, plasterboard, asbestos or other hazardous material, animal-by-products, clinical, nappy or sanitary waste Material/Container Type: General Waste for Trade Waste, Bag Collections & Front End Loaders Non-hazardous waste Any waste electronic or electrical equipment, batteries, gas bottles, fluorescent tubes, paint tins, hazardous waste, animal-by-products, clinical, nappy or sanitary waste, kennel waste, liquids, timber, rubble, large pieces of metal or other bulky waste